A theme is an important part of your blog. A theme gives your blog its design and layout. You should keep few things in mind before choosing a theme for your blog.
Responsive theme means theme which adjust their layouts according to different screen sizes to make reading and navigation easy. Your site may look good on computer but it is not necessary that it will look good on mobile and tablets too because their scree size are different. So always select a theme which is responsive. Choosing a responsive theme also helps to get more visitors because search engines give priority to the website which has responsive theme.
1. Log in to your wordpress.com account
2. Go to My Site
3. Expand design section and click on Themes
4. Choose free or premium according to your plan
5. Choose Layout in the filter criterion. It will show four options Fixed Layout, Fluid Layout, Grid Layout and Responsive layout, but I recommend you to choose Responsive Layout as it adjusts the layout of your website for all the screen sizes.
6. After choosing Responsive Layout, choose any theme from available themes according to your requirement.
Choose a theme according to your requirement
You should a theme according to your requirement because these themes are specifically designed for the particular requirement. If you want to start a photography blog, you should choose a theme which is designed for photography. If you want to start a food blog, you should choose a theme which is designed for food blogs. There is no restriction that you must follow this rule, you are free to choose any theme. You can apply filters to choose a theme according to your requirement.
How to see a live demo of a WordPress theme?
Choose a theme and click on Open Live Demo button.
You can also see how your website looks on mobile, tablet and computer by clicking on the drop down menu.
How to activate a theme for your website?
Click on the Activate button to apply the theme.
You can also try a theme without activating it. It is helpful in case you want to see how a theme look like without changing your existing theme. Click on Try & Customize button to try it.
Feel free to ask anything, I will try my best to solve it.